HICO CHURCH OF CHRIST
The church in Hico, TX began in the Spring of 1884. With the help of the visiting minister (Bro. Castleman), about 20 members organized into a local congregation of the Lord's body. On December 17, 1885 a man called Garrett gave land in the northern section of the city to erect a meeting place for their Christian church. It was a wooden frame building erected on North Mesquite St. under the shade of a great live oak tree. This building today stands as Hico's Senior Citizen's Center.
Sometime in the 1890's, John White became the preacher and preached for many years while the church continued to grow.
In 1896 the church was divided over the question of whether instrumental music could be added to the worship service. One side wanted the freedom to worship as they pleased and use instruments; the other side held firm to the pattern of worship in the New Testament. Many churches through out the country split apart. The church in Hico divided in 1896. Those who wanted to stay with the teachings of the New Testament left their building on the hill and moved to a piece of land donated by John White and built their second meeting house. It is here they first became known as the church of Christ. After several more years of preaching in Hico, John White died in 1931. Toward the end of the 1930's, the church faced the problem of becoming to large for their building. Jesse Bobo was asked to locate a larger building and worked out the purchase of the Presbyterian church building located at the present sight on North Pecan Street. The building and lot were purchased for 1,000 dollars on June 10, 1939. In the 1940's the congregation at Millerville began meeting with the church in Hico. Part of the building at Millerville was connected to the rear of the building in Hico to provide more classrooms.
During this time much of the preaching was done by Bro. Stanley Giesecke as well as several other men. In 1947, the average contribution was nearly $50.00 and the church decided to hire a full time evangelist. J.P. Williams was the first full time preacher in the Hico Church of Christ. He came in September 1947 and left in September 1948.
The subsequent preachers are as follows:
Each served only 1 to 3 years. In 1967 while Nelson Stark (1965 - 1969) was preaching, the old wooden building was replaced with a new brick building.
Harold Thurman came in 1986 and preached in Hico 8 years before retiring in 1994. While he was here, in 1990, elders were ordained for the first time in many years. Deacons were appointed shortly after.
Following Bro. Thurman came...
1994 - 2000
2000 - 2006
2006 - 2009
In 2015, the church in Hico, TX was blessed when Brother Brad Wangerin was selected as our new minister.
+This history was written by Kelli Solsbery using “Cactus, Cotton and Campbellites” by James T. Hawk, a history of the Church of Christ in Hico, TX, as research material as well as memories of older members still living.